Wednesday, October 6, 2010

First Month-iversary

Exactly a month ago was my first night in Italy as an exchange student. Before coming, I had certain expectations about my year here, which I knew were just fantasies, yet in the back of my mind, I still hoped my exchange would be like. Here are a few of the hopes and expectations I had before coming, a month ago, that were wrong. Some things are good, some are bad, and some I have not decided whether they are good or bad, but that is just how life is.
About myself:
I never really thought I would miss my family, friends, etc. I was wrong.

I never expected that I would write in my journal so much and be able to commit to writing daily. I was wrong.

I had told myself that I was not going to communicate so much with home. I was wrong.

I never thought that I would ever be sad – I thought I was as hard as a rock. I was wrong.

But also, in those times of sadness, I never thought I would be as happy as I am right now and most other days. I was wrong.

I never believed that my network of other exchange students would be so helpful. I was wrong.

I never truly believed that I would learn Italian so quickly. I was wrong.

I thought I was going to gain weight while I was here. I was wrong.

I thought I would be the worst at soccer. I was wrong – but I also play with kids three or four years younger, so I am not counting this as an accomplishment.

About Italy

·         I would have never thought that Italian streets would be as safe as they are. I was wrong – they are probably safer than the Summit High School parking lot.

·         I thought they ate pasta every day. I was wrong.

·         I also thought they drank wine with every meal. I was wrong – my parents at home drink wine more often than my host parents, and they do not even drink wine that often.

·         Never in my wildest dreams did I expect Italians to be so American as to put ketchup on their pasta or French fries on their pizza. I was wrong.

·         I never thought I would have visited so many places in just a month. I was wrong.

·         I had heard that Venice was great, but I never expected to fall in love with it as much as I did. I was wrong.

·         I never thought I would make wine in Italy. I was wrong.

·         I never expected to have a Big Mac in Italy. I was wrong – that was actually my first meal in a restaurant here.

·         I had seen pictures, but I never thought Vicenza would be as beautiful as it is. I was wrong.

·          I never expected the view from my house (even my bedroom) to be so great. I was wrong.

·         I thought school would be okay, but not great. I was wrong – I love it.

·         I never thought I would have made so many friends so quickly. I was wrong. 


So far my exchange has been a great experience and has helped me grow immensely as a person. I am sure it will continue to do so as it continues.

3 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a great blog. Thanks for being raw and letting us know how it really is. Im so glad it is so great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insights, Alex!
    Can't wait to read more posts about your adventures.
    Lots of love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you sososososo much more than I thought I would! Hope your missing me :)
    ~Elle Eastman

    ReplyDelete