Monday, October 4, 2010

Doner Kebaps and Wine (but not together)


Subscribe to my blog to receive an email update with each new post. Use the link on the right that says "Follow".

Once again, I am very sorry I have not written in so long. This past week was normal, in the sense that I had school Monday to Saturday, I went to a Rotary meeting on Thursday night, and went out with some friends on Saturday night. I received my birthday package from my parents (a little bit late, but greatly appreciated) and I went to soccer practice a couple times. At school I also signed up to play volleyball, which I am no good at, but it will give me something to do.
Saturday after school, I decided not to go home for lunch because a few friends and I were going to be seeing a movie three hours later. I did not feel it was worth taking the bus home and then back in order to be there for an hour, so instead I ate lunch in Vicenza. Later that night my friends and I were going to go get a pizza, so I decided to get something that was not Italian for lunch – a Doner Kebap perhaps?

One of Vicenza's many Doner Kebap restaurants. They are the European equivalent of Mexican food.
This has got to be one of my proudest photographic works.

Later I killed some time in Vicenza and went to meet my friends in front of the movie theater. I probably should have gone online to read a spoiler on Inception, considering it is supposedly hard to follow even in English, but I was amazed at how well I understood. Only once did I have to ask what a certain word meant and at certain points I even found myself not noticing that the film was in Italian because of how well I understood. After that we walked around in Vicenza, and then met up with some other friends to go get a pizza. I noticed that at this place, unlike the one last week, nobody ordered the French fries pizza, so I ordered the cheese again. After that we walked around a bit longer, and then went to a bar. Unlike in the United States, a bar is not a place that serves mostly alcohol. They definitely do, but more people in the group ordered coffee or some other non-alcoholic drink than anything else. I got home late and fell asleep pretty quickly because I was so worn out from speaking Italian all day. It truly is physically exhausting to communicate completely in a different language.
Yesterday morning I woke up to an empty house. The whole family had gone to Osvaldo’s soccer game, and apparently they had come to see if I wanted to go, but I was sleeping. Once they came back, Cristina said to help Dante when he arrived. “Who’s Dante?” I thought to myself. Later he arrived and we helped him carry a contraption out of his car and into the backyard. Then we started making wine.
Here is an illustrated guide on wine making.

Step 1. Grow grapes.


Step 2: Pick grapes.
Step 3: Have your Italian host sister wash her feet and stomp the grapes.

Step 4: Have an Italian wine expert put all the stomped grapes into the cool wine-making contraption.


Step 5: Have the same Italian wine expert use his cool wine-making contraption to get the last drop out of those grapes.


Step 6: He then passes it all through a filter into this large jug. We filled about three or four of these.
Step 7: Store for about three weeks. Then filter again to remove any remaining seeds, grape skins, etc.
Step 8: Store for about  two or three months until the grapes ferment.
Step 9: Drink.
This is what the grapes look like after they have had all of their juice pumped out.
All steps of the process were done here.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Thank you for the play-by-play!

    This reminds me of your dad working at Wine and Brew by You when he was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete